I adopted these recipes from Christin. She has been traveling with her husband through Africa for a long time. We met them at Kubu Island, Botswana.
Once she invited us for these delicious dishes, lentils with thyme – garlic – oil and pan fried chicken breast.
In this case the chicken is more the side dish than the lentils, because the lentils cooked in wine and drizzled with thyme – garlic – oil on top is a pure pleasure to eat.
Some cooking tips before I start with the lentils recipe:
Do not soak, but rinse and drain.
Required cooking time varies considerably and depends on the type.
– brown lentils: 60 minutes
– orange lentils: 20 minutes
– red lentils: 15 minutes
If you are in a hurry, then use tinned lentils.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 ½ cups brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1⅕ cups white wine
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 6 – 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ bunch thyme or 1 heaped teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large pan over medium heat and add butter. Add chopped onions and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add lentils, wine, vegetable broth and pepper. Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Allow simmering for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, after half an hour cooking time add salt.
- There shouldn’t be any liquid left in the pot, but do not over cook.
- Heat olive oil over low heat, add finely chopped garlic and thyme and cook for 1 -2 minutes. Season the oil mixture with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Take the lentils and with an immersion blender puree only for some seconds. Do not blend everything, only a part of it.
- Serve the lentils on a plate and drizzle with thyme – garlic – oil, serve hot.
The required cooking time varies considerably and depends on the types of lentils. It is between 15 and 60 minutes.
If you don’t like the thyme – garlic – oil on top, then add the garlic and thyme to the onion and cook for 1 -2 minutes more, and continue with the recipe.
Similar recipe with red lentils you can find here in German language.
Pan Fried Chicken
The lentil puree with thyme – garlic – oil is with an intensive taste, so it is sufficient to use only mild spices for the chicken, like salt and pepper and fry in clarified butter.
Time: 1 hour / Difficulty: medium
Ingredients for 4 persons:
2 tablespoons clarified butter
4 chicken pieces (breast or legs)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Clean and dry chicken pieces, then season them with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the clarified butter in a large frying pan over high heat. Once the fat is hot, add the chicken pieces and fry on all sides for 5 minutes until the skin is browned, might need to do that in batches not to overcrowd the pan, otherwise they will steam instead of brown.
3. Place the lid, leaving an opening of approximately 3 cm to allow the steam to escape.
4. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Don’t add some liquid. Turn the pieces occasionally.
If the meat is slightly sticky, gently peel the skin off the frying pan with the fork.
5. Increase heat and fry the chicken parts without lid on all sides for 3 – 5 minutes until crispy.
Place the chicken with the lentil puree on a plate, garnish and serve hot.
For this I recommend a glass of white wine.
Enjoy your meal!