“You are driving in the car since hours and it is hot, miserably hot! You are feeling that you get tired, the concentration goes down, but it is still far to the next campsite.
You need something!
Do you know this feeling?
You need something, something which pushes, gives power, wakes up, something cold…
Cold like an iced coffee!!!”
Usually, we make the coffee the day before our journey starts. Cool it down and place it in the fridge overnight. So it´s enough time to chill it.
First, we had the French Press Coffee Maker. It is made from glass and broke several times on African´s roads and unfortunately under my hands.
After three had broken, I thought the change to the Moka Pot (stove top espresso maker) was a good solution for us.
We bought it in Malindi, a town situated on the Indian Ocean coast of Kenya. This town is a paradise if you like Italian food like pizza, ice cream, mozzarella cheese and beverages like wine and coffee.
We felt like in heaven (after our bush life) when we discovered the Italian shop with all these goodies and our new future Moka pot!
Here an introduction, how to use a Moka Pot for Espresso Style Coffee:
Processes of providing coffee by Moka pot:
A lot of food blogs swear by cold brew method.
For our lifestyle (TRAVELERS) it is easier, quicker and more uncomplicated to brew strong hot coffee, coffee creamer, and sugar mixed into the hot coffee before cooling and refrigerate it overnight (eight hours).
Iced Coffee Recipe
Moka pot, spoon, travel mug, ice cube trays
Iced Coffee for the road Step-by-step:
- 2 cups (250 ml cup) water
- 4 teaspoons ground coffee (add more if you like it stronger)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coffee creamer
- Ice cubes or coffee ice cubes (Made from the same type of coffee/coffee creamer combination previously frozen in ice cube trays.)
- Poor water into the bottom part up to the pressure valve of your Moka pot.
- Put the filter in place and fill it with ground coffee.
- Screw the top part on.
- Place your moka pot on the stove on highest temperature.
- Coffee is ready, when you hear this typical noise. Take the pot off the stove.
- Add brown sugar and coffee creamer in a travel mug.
- Pour hot coffee into the mug and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Chill it in the refrigerator for 8 hours.
- Add some (coffee) ice cubes and enjoy it!
Caramel syrup, fudge, cream, milk, cocoa powder, cinnamon
• Chilled black coffee with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream on top or
sweetened condensed milk over ice.
• Instant coffee instead of ground coffee.