Easy curried chicken rice salad for a quick dinner or lunch.
A perfect dish to prepare the day before so you have more time to relax after a long road trip or stressful business day.
I often make this salad with the leftovers (fried chicken with rice) from the previous day, and I can get a fresh pineapple, carrots and green pepper from the market.
Most of the time we have stored the remaining ingredients like onions, rice, mayonnaise, lemon juice, chicken stock cube, curry powder, salt and pepper in our little camping car.
- 2 cups (300 g) cooked or fried, chilled chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups (558 g) cooked white rice (equals 1 cup/200 g raw white rice)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small (1 ¼ cups) pineapple, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place cooked, cooled rice and chicken into a large bowl. Add onion, green pepper, carrots and pineapples. Toss gently to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mayonnaise, curry powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour dressing and chicken broth over salad and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 - 3 hours.
- Optional: Put chicken salad evenly onto lettuce-lined salad plates.
- Garnish with onion rings or green pepper and serve it with fresh bread of your choice.
Addition: celery, mandarin orange, grapes