Classic egg salad is quick, easy and simple to make. Very delicious!
You need boiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, onion, salt, white/black pepper, and chives or green pepper.
This creamy egg salad can be served on lettuce and a variety of bread.
From white bread, wholemeal bread, toasted bread, pita to crackers.
Whatever you like and prefer!
Egg salad, … I absolutely love it!
Especially on travel, these ingredients we have most of the time with us.
Anyway, you get eggs everywhere, even in the rural areas of Africa.
Mayonnaise is also available if not then I make my homemade mayonnaise.
Onions and some other vegetable, they are sold on the market or at the roadside.
The only thing, what I really miss and hardly get here is chive! So, if you plan to travel to Africa, store some dried one!
It´s right, you don´t get here everything, but what you get on vegetable in Africa, the quality is amazing!
A lot of times I used this recipe in an emergency case, when friends came to visit us, after a long drive or when we ran out of food somewhere in the bush.
Until now, we enjoy this tasty Egg Salad.
Equipment: Saucepan, cutting board, knife, spoon, bowl
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover them with cold water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 – 12 minutes.
Cut the onion thinly sliced.
Place the eggs in a bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise (2/3 of the amount only), onion, mustard and seasoning with salt and white/black pepper.
If the mixture is too dry, then stir in the rest of the mayonnaise. Cover it and put it into the fridge to let it rest.
Serve on your favorite bread, plain or with crunchy lettuce, or as a side (barbecue).
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, cubed
- 1 small onion, finely cubed
- 3 - 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (depending on egg size)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and white/black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 green pepper, diced or/and sliced chives in the salad or only for garnish
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover them with cold water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Drain out the hot water and run cold water over the eggs, then peel and dice.
- Cut the onion thinly sliced.
- Place the eggs in a bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise (2/3 of the amount only), onion, mustard, and seasoning with salt and white/black pepper.
- If the mixture is too dry, then stir in the rest of the mayonnaise.
- Cover it and put it into the fridge to let it rest.
- Serve on your favorite bread, plain or with crunchy lettuce, or as a side (barbecue).
Instead of pure mayonnaise, you can mix it with yogurt, only yogurt or regular yogurt with Greek yogurt.
Another healthy variety: Avocado - egg salad without mayonnaise. (Basic recipe + 1 avocado - smashed, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 - 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard extra.)
Additions and some examples for garnish:
¼ cup celery diced or celery salt (for celery lovers)
Juice of half a lemon, chive, green pepper, gherkin, bacon, avocado, cress, olive or radish.